Saturday, February 21, 2009

Spartan Trainer

SPARTAN: Definition

1. Courageous in the face of pain

2. Rigorously self-disciplined or self-restrained

3. Sparing in consumption of especially food and drink

This pretty well describes my trainer.
I really want to write about my trainer because of her uniqueness and because I believe she is descended from ancient Sparta, itself.
But it is difficult.
People are much more complex than can ever captured in a singular Blog. Most people are only poorly described even after a full lifetime.
Anyway here are my thoughts and pardon me if I miss the mark.
A trainer is much like a therapist or a physician.
A lot of transference goes on and you either love or hate the individual.
In the later case you generally try to find someone else unless you are into power struggles and humiliation.
In my case I happen to be “in love” with my trainer.
She has an easy smile, a quick wit and a keen intellect. She vibrates with energy and enjoys music with harsh beats and harsher melodies. It drives the program.
Hers is more than a job. You can see it in her attitude. She enjoys the classes and enjoys the interactions.
But the slogan on the T-shirt puts everyone on notice: Go hard or Go Home.
The core group (I will talk about these later) is always there unless mortally wounded. They believe the slogan.
As for me, I believe the slogan. She has gotten more exercise out of me than I ever thought possible. She has caused pain in muscles I didn’t know I had.
She has pushed me beyond reasonable limits but I have gotten there and still go back for more. You just don’t want to disappoint.
It is paying off; I can see the changes and better yet I can feel the changes.
In the end analysis, I will keep going back because, I want to own and have those same characteristics.

No comments: