Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Vacation

Vacation is a test.
Can you keep to the exercise regime?
You lose the comfort of the “pack”, the dominant Alpha leader and the familiar space.
The routine changes by necessity.
I am an evening exerciser but on vacation I become an early morning exerciser as I need to assist with grandchildren the rest of the day.
The body at first rebels to the new routine and on this vacation I even added a new quirk to the workout.
Janzelle explained a technique to become a runner.
Each day for the first six days, one walks four minutes and then runs for one minute. This cycle is repeated for 30 minutes to one hour.
The next six days one walks three minutes and runs two and so on and so on until you are running thirty minutes and walking 30 minutes.
The goal one hour of continuous running.
I will never become a long distant runner or a jogger but in my home gym we are running a number of laps in Boot Camp and I want to pick up the pace.
So for the past three days I now start my routine with 45 minutes of “raulking” the beach followed by a trip to the gym for the weights and the crunches.
A word about crunches; Crunches are hard to do by yourself so generally you do the harder ones just so you won’t feel like your cheating.
First, legs straight and 100 to the middle, the sides and on and on until I finished the set of 600 with side planks, 50 to each side.
The side planks make me feel very “correct” and “honest” with this session.
Now on to the weights.
I am looking for the feeling of the skin being too tight for the muscles underneath.
Can I push myself to that level?
I have a new pain and weakness in the right bicep so I go with light weights and lots of reps.
I start with curls move to triceps, chest, flys, lat pull downs and finish with shoulders, 100 palms down,thumbs up, ending with full range.
I am sweating, gallons, the temp 92, humidity 100% and my whole skin feels too small for all of my innards.
I will make it through the next two weeks but look forward to the comfort of the pack.
A lame “wolf” doesn’t last that long in the wild.

No comments: