Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Well It Is all About Ken

Monday, get to the gym early and head up to claim a bike for the full one and one half hour spin class.
I am excited; I have never been in this class.
I usually end up in the 45 minute class on Monday and the one hour class on Sunday.
So I set up the bike and begin the ride.
The first 45 minutes goes by as expected, it takes 45 minutes, the music is OK.
Several new players file in at the break as some of the first group pile out.
I stay; I gave up a bike during the last one and one half hour session.
Then the question, “What do you want CD-1 or CD-2”?
Cheshire speaks up, “CD 2”.
“Ok, it is number 2”.
The first notes crash out over the loud speakers; the didjeridu intones and is joined by an African voice.
It is an eclectic mixture but hauntingly beautiful; it drives the effort.
I say to no one, “Good, I love this one”.
“Well, it is all about Ken”, says the trainer.
“Yeah it is all about Ken”, comes another voice from the darkened room.
Can you blush in the dark?
I did.
What the hell was that all about?
The trainer adds, “At least in Ken’s world”.
I am puzzled, usually an attack is frontal, this is more devious, Ninja style, striking from an unknown direction for an unknown purpose.
Maybe if I am saying it to no one I shouldn’t say it at all.
I turn to cement.
It is an easy transition.
I just need to be careful how far I sink since I need to hear the cadence and command changes for the class.
I turn the resistance a little harder on the flats, harder up the hill, harder climbing the wall.
I don’t even finish climbing the wall, “Only five minutes to go”.
I have worked harder than usual, but in spite of that the second forty five minutes is reduced to less than ten (at least in Ken’s World).
A time warp has invaded Ken’s world; it seemed to coincide with the “cement state”.
What is going on?
Is it psychology (to get more work from an angry peon), is it a reaction to a Blog, is it a form of subliminal torture or is it just carry over from the second grade, you know going after the odd kid?
Maybe 63 year old people are odd if they do the one and one half hour spin class.
Now I even wonder if they would pick me for Red Rover Red Rover.
I assume this new form of “persecution” will continue for an unspecified period of time, so it is good I have a large supply of Sakrete because in the end it is “All about Ken”.
Who said that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is the best yet when you express vulnerabilty and the truth of oneself.I too was the fat kid who was picked on because I was fat short and "bucky" but it is okay because to lay down ones control over ones own life is the beginning of humility I wish you much success in these steps as I too have let go and am letting go more and more...to recognize that we are not the center even of our own world. Peace and Blessing and Love be with you brother.
Phil

Relentless said...

Beware......Ken's world Ninja's are everywhere..........besides they like it in his world..............and a BIG Congratulations on nailing down your first 1-1/2 cycling class champ!

Relentless