Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Good and Evil

Every now and then I really mess up and watch a 24-hour news channel.
I don’t mean to, it just happens; the news flashes by, I become mesmerized; it is overpowering, it is hypnotic and it causes a “Ball of Sorrow” to grow inside of me until I feel like I am going to burst.
If you have seen the movie, The Fifth Element, you might understand exactly what I am talking about.
An alien person is exposed to all of the evil on this earth, wars, murders, man’s continued inhumanity to man and decides that the world and it’s inhabitants are not worth saving.
This same story was played out in Sodom and Gomorrah in a biblical account ages ago.
Tibet has struggled, Haiti struggles, Pakistan is wracked by disaster, China is in trouble, Russia is on fire, children are murdered, women have ears and noses cut off because they want equality, Al Qaeda wants to destroy anything that is different form their version of the world, the Pope calls the ordination of women the “worst sin in the church” while avoiding the issue of abuse and a the crimes against individuals and humanity.
The world seems beset by evil and people that pursue it for their own pleasure and “grandification” when it would be so much easier to just, I hate to say it as Rodney King said, “Can’ t we just love one another?”
This is something that comes down to us from history, “Love one another” and we need Rodney King to remind us?
Good is necessary to advance civilization but for now if the news and the headlines are any indication, we are going the wrong way.
Evil seems to be way ahead if you are keeping score or maybe the recounting of it is what sells commercials.
I for one am going back to the gym, the pain is pure, the motive is self help and the people, they are excellent role models and easy to “love”.
I wish the world could spend more time getting fit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Someone once said that God's curse is that he loves people. Can you imagine how broken Jesus must have felt on the cross? The giving up of His life may have been much less painful than taking all the sins of the world upon himself.

I feel the same way you do, at times. There is a fiendish chorus of demons singing, "Everything is Going to Hell." For us Christians, we were warned thousands of years ago that this was going to happen. Indeed, we know that the prince of this world is a spirit of darkness. At the same time, those simple, but utterly profound words of scripture tell us: "Greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world." If I didn't believe that, I think I would go mad.

Anonymous said...

AMEN!