Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Bad Night?

Brain: Wake up.

Come on, get up!

Me: Huh, I say.

Who said that?

Brain: I did?

Me: Where are you?

Brain: Right here, dummy, I’m your brain.

Me: So I’m sitting in bed talking to my brain?

Brain: You not talking, do you see your lips moving, the eyes are still asleep.

It’s the muscles that asked me to wake you up. They are in pain and they can’t seem to fall asleep, “sleeping ugly”.

Seems you let some trainer take you over the edge and back again, no oxygen, low sugar, on and on, carry those plates, hit that bag, yeah 200 times and again and again. Now hit the mitts, you are smiling and even laughing with all that Advil on board.

We know you dig the endorphins. But you heard her, ain’t no old guy gonna make new muscle, ain’t no old guy gonna do heavy dips without wearing his shoulders outside his skin and most likely his shirt.

Me: Shuuuuuuud up, I say slowly.

I’m giving us hope. I was sleeping better until you woke me up.

I need to do this. It is something I must do and I will grow new muscle, even if it is in my head, Ha Ha Ha.

Brain: Really funny. What if I just take you out in the country somewhere and forget how I got there? What if I forget to eat and you just pass out? What if I forget to take a bath and you end up sleepin’ on a park bench in Central Park?

Me: Wouldn’t that be you to?

Brain: It might, but at least I wouldn’t hear the “screaming of the legs”.

Me: Bad pun on a bad movie.

Brain: awright, I’m not thinkin’ straight, I’m gonna drop the gates and let all the pain on in, you are gonna suffer, you are gonna be sorry you ever hacked me off”

Me: Go for it big guy, remember I’m still loaded with endorphins and the second Advil, the muscles will get quiet before that stuff wears off.

Brain: Hmmmm! I do see those endorphins snugglin’ up to my glial cells, and it does feel pretty good. Maybe I’ll just shut down that line of receptors coming in from the boondocks. Whoa, that was a jolt. It’s pretty quiet with the muscles shut down. I think I smell snow out on the yard. Is that a fire glowing in the fireplace? Christmas songs, I can hear them in the memory section. Those endorphins are pretty cool stuff. Maybe an old man can grow new muscle. Maybe an old man can do heavy dips..

Me: Maybe an Old brain can learn new tricks.

Brain: Yeah, so keep on yawning,(cools me off), keep on dipping, keep on slippin’ but most of all, keep those endorphins flowin

No comments: