Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Rapidly Fading

It is rapidly coming to a close, 2010.
I was in the gym this morning exercising, new routine, no free weights, just body weight exercises.
My exercise partner was on board.
The body weight exercises included pull ups or chin ups for those as old as me, dips (no not talking ice cream one or two scoops) body weight dips, sit ups on a decline bench while catching and throwing a weighted ball, leg pull ups while hanging suspended by your arms, etc.
We did 6 stations and somewhere between fifteen and twenty five reps per station and repeated each station three times.
Then it was over.
The next time I am in the gym it will be a new year.
I will be approaching Medicare, not quite there yet, but I can smell it.
I wonder if I will get a senior discount on the monthly dues?
I have been worried, as much as I am there, that they might actually start charging a higher membership fee, you know wearing out the equipment faster.
They did get a whole new load of fancy machines but the spin bikes still look like they have come forward from the 1800's.
I wonder, did they have spin classes in the 1800's?
Sparta was in this morning, patrolling the room, exhorting her small class to new levels of exertion.
Ammo is recovering from the flu.
The Ambassador has been decommissioned due to a back injury,
Cheshire now has the flu.
Finally Transformer seems to be back but maybe not all the way.
Even Sparta has been fighting an injury of sorts and some platform took a large chunk of my shin.
The classes on Tuesday have grown to 35, Thursday class is usually big but it was announced we would be doing the 800 crunches which turned into 1000 and a lot of the regulars stayed away.
The Saturday class has also gotten quite large, 25 to 30.
I occasionally think back to when the class consisted of 4 or 5 regulars.
In spite of everything 2010 has been a good year until this month.
My daughter got some really terrible news regarding her health and it has made it seem like I am walking in mud.
Read: www.lovecansitanywhere.com
Retirement has turned into a part time job and close to full time anxiety.
The gym will be my best therapy in 2011.
I want to get to 163 pounds, 25 chin ups and an Iron Cross.
I have to hurry, Medicare is just around the corner and I don't think they cover Gymnastic Ring Injuries.

No comments: