Friday, January 21, 2011

Old But Not: A Paradox

Birthday coming soon.
Can't access Medicare yet but close.
Hope I never have to use it.
I know my age but talking to my wife last night said, "I feel like I am 30 years old. I know I feel as good or maybe even better than when I was 30".
Her comment, "I feel 16".
"Stop there", I said. "That is underage in any state".
"No seriously, I feel 16".
These two people are crazy, you might be thinking: instead ask yourself, "Is this all from exercise and a good diet"?
I submit for your consideration that in fact this is the direct result of exercise and well controlled diet.
I recently ran into a friend at the airport who commented on my weight but ended up saying, "Well you may live three years longer but I will have enjoyed the journey more".
I didn't say anything because I don't think he has enjoyed the journey as much I am now enjoying the journey.
I may drop dead tomorrow, I may get hit by a bus, a meteorite might fall on me and leave nothing but smoking ashes but until that instant in time when it stops I will have enjoyed each and every moment so acutely that I can't stop laughing.
A patient recently asked me, "Why are you always laughing"?
"It is a release valve for happiness".
He looked at me and said quite clearly, "you ain't all there".
"If you believe that then you are in trouble".
"Why is that".
"Well, I am your doctor".
That gave him some pause and not the refreshing kind.

No comments: