Wednesday, February 2, 2011

It Was a Good Birthday

The message was on the phone.
"Can you train at 8:30 in the morning"?
Sure, I text back.
I show up, "What are we doing today"?
"Arms".
"Sounds good".
The next half hour tests every idea I had about arm strength.
Lots of reps, standing, seated, on the incline and finally the 70 pound bar with repeated curls, this at the end of the session.
I finally get a good solid 10 reps which ends training but means it is time to go play in Boot Camp.
Sparta announces my birthday and my age 64, so the first thing we are going to do is 64 squats.
"Why can't you be 21"?, someone says.
I would if I could.
Boot Camp is big, 30 plus people, the pace rapid and the exercises intense, multiple push ups, squats, runs, hit the mitts, hit the heavy bag and so on.
Toward the end I am laughing because it is the only thing I can do without hurting.
The final challenge, 64 throw downs.
Then on to the weigh in, the final insult, I have gained 1.4 pounds and assured my team of last place again.
I can't wait to be 65.

1 comment:

Charlie said...

Big deal 1.4 lbs. and last place...but do you also realize how any people you have helped and how many love you? If you gained 30 lbs. that wouldn't change anything except your pants size...I'm in 34's now but I would love some peace of mind now and then.
Love
Your brother
Phil