Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The End of the Earth?

I was reading the news, and saw the following headline, “Can life on Earth escape the swelling sun”?
They failed to explain until deep into the article that they were talking about 5 billion years from now.
I really have more “pressing” issues, dumbbells that is, than to be concerned about a sun that may burn out in 5 billion years.
Why is everything presented as immediate, as a crisis?
In reality, the past is past, the future is only potential and all we really have is the present moment.
I no longer count away the seconds and minutes of my life waiting for something better or worse to come along.
The fact I lived from the last second to this second is very gratifying.
The fact I can laugh now and still be laughing through the next seconds to minutes is gratifying.
The fact that I can see a dumbbell move to a higher position over several seconds during the bench press tells me I am still alive and making progress every second.
If I suddenly expire during the dumbbell press, I will no longer be making progress but the dumbbell will no longer be part of my future as my future will have evaporated in the instant of my passing.
The dumbbell will then have its own future and will be immediately acted on by gravity without the opposing force of my muscles.
The dumbbell will fall and hit what it will on the way down
The dumbbell and I will be in separate realities.
So why worry about a future that may not exist or a falling dumbbell for that matter if I no longer exist.
A very existential question; “does a falling dumbbell ever question how it got up so high in the first place?”
That does not mean one should not hedge your bets.
One needs to follow the Boy Scout code and be prepared for any possible future.
As an example: I assume I will always need to eat in any possible future so I do the dumbbell presses to make sure I am strong enough to carry the groceries.
In my potential future I would like to be able hold a book, pick up a toothbrush, get out of bed, standup, walk, and maybe even jog a little so I exercise regularly.
Instead of worrying about the future, I try to get ready for any future that might come along.
Therefore I am not going to worry about the sun swallowing up the earth in 5 billion years because I am certain I will not be here and even if I was here there would be very little I could do about it except bend over and kiss my you know what goodbye, that is if I had taken yoga and remained limber enough to bend over.

No comments: