Thursday, August 13, 2009

Evolution?

Eleven people showed up a few nights ago.
Eleven stations; it was fast and vigorous.
No rest stations; the runner was the timer.
Three laps.
A lot of leg work, then time on the mitts.
“Everyone back?”
“Let’s go again, only two laps, make them all out sprints and have your gloves on”.
Back into the grinder.
Squats, agility ladder and so on through the eleven stations.
“Get your mats”, “time for abs”.
It was the same routine as last week and included one hundred and twenty side planks per side for a total of two hundred and forty side planks.
“Nice work, really nice work”, she states, as we all stretch tight muscles.
The more people there are, the higher the intensity, there is no rest.
It somehow feels better as the hour is gone too soon.
But tonight I am not done.
I go out to finish lifting in the gym.
It seems Sparta is not yet done either; she goes out into the gym and finds her lifting partner.
He is huge, has tremendous strength and I can tell they drive each other.
I watch them as I begin my own lifts.
The dumbbell bench press is his first lift. He holds the hundred pounders in each hand; she is exhorting him, “one more” and then “one more”.
Now it is his turn, he moves to the spotter position, “come on you got more in you, another one, another one”, finally finished the weights drop.
They are like well-honed machines as they continue their workout.
Watching the pair go from exercise to exercise is enough.
It is the extra kick I need to keep moving on my own routines.
The curls, triceps, back, intercostals, shoulders until I am finally finished.
I feel good; my skin is too tight and I am really hungry.
Something inside is screaming for protein.
The grocery store is on the way and the strip steaks are on sale.
I pick up one that weighs bout 8 oz. and head to the checkout.
As she scans the purchase the young lady asks, “Would you like a bag”?
“No thanks”, I say, “I am just going to eat it on the way home”.
She says nothing; her eyes say it all as I begin removing the wrapper.

No comments: