Saturday, August 29, 2009

Only Two

The previous class attracted about fourteen people.
Today it is down to two: Ammo and me.
Sparta is present to call the pain.
Where are Elmo and spouse?
Where are Ambassador, Transformer, Cheshire Cat?
“WHERE ARE ALL OF THE OTHERS”; the little voice inside screams.
This could really get hard.
“OK people, here we go”. “The jump rope is the timer, start with 100”.
“Burn outs on the heavy bag”.
“Ok switch, switch, switch, switch”.
Breathing is a little ragged.
“Now lets do laps and mitts”.
“Go, switch, switch, switch”.
Breathing is now definitely ragged.
During one of the switches, Mr. Grizz-Lee, (a name I think that fits well) enters the room.
He is as big as a bear and probably as strong.
He has come to play.
Mr. Grizz-Lee does have one weakness. He doesn’t like to sweat.
In fact several weeks ago when he was working with the group, he reached up, wiped his forehead and asked Sparta, “What is this”, as if in shock that he found water there.
Now he and Sparta join the rotation, he is fast, running as we run, growling, laughing.
He hits the heavy bag so hard the air vibrates with the impact.
When I cheat on abs, his big paw pushes me down and he rumbles a command, “C’mon bring it on, tighten those abs, now push back", as the big paw again descends, pushing me further back on the exercise ball.
Finally there is a break.
Sparta pulls out the cards.
We all trek out to the gym floor.
It is push-up time.
The ladies on one side the men on the other.
The first card falls; it’s the men’s, a Joker, 15.
Next a face card, 10 more.
On and on it goes.
There are exactly 410 push-ups in a deck of cards.
The deck looks about half gone.
Most are sweating. I am laughing because I have passed the point of caring and just need to finish.
The Bear grumbles, “If you keep laughing, I’m going to hurt you”.
“This could really get hard”, I say in reply.
Well says the bear, “I am delighted to see that you are so gifted with intelligent insights”.
Now everyone starts laughing, the big paw reaches out pushing Sparta off balance, I see it coming my way and shrink down like a turtle, it rocks me but I keep doing the push-ups.
Ammo is too far away and the bear says, “Dang, now I’m behind”.
We finish, arms trembling, I am glad to see that even Sparta and the Bear had to go some to get this one done and the Bear is finally sweating.
“Since we are already down on the floor, lets roll over and finish with abs”, says Sparta.
Bear is already feigning a nap.

No comments: