Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Here’s One For The G-Man

The G-man stopped by the office the other day.
“I am not going to read your Blog anymore”, he stated matter-of-factly.
“All you write about is exercise”.
“Where is the stuff you used to write about?”
I suggested that I write about exercise because the Blog is kind of devoted to exercise.
"I don't care", he said, "give us something similar to your past efforts".
So here it is G-man, a piece that seems appropriate at this time, especially in view of the Farmer’s Almanac calling for an early Fall and a “frigid” winter

I smelled Fall
Yesterday
As a yellow leaf
Fell
To the ground
Just in the periphery
Of
Vision
Chilling
The marrow
For just a second
But then
The heat reclaimed
My thoughts

It is true.
Fall is waiting around the corner.
I had just commented to a friend a few days ago that there were signs of an early fall and I was surprised I had not yet smelled it or felt the chill in the marrow.
It doesn’t last long.
It is like the whisper of a “lover” having just passed away and exiting the room with the hushed “goodbye”.
You have to be waiting to hear it or feel it or you will completely miss it and wake up one day wondering where the sweet corn and peaches have gone or be surprised when your “lover” no longer makes coffee.
Now I know they are soon to be gone.
I have smelled the fall.
As I drove home down highway 135 through Amish country I was struck by the beauty of the approaching evening and the fields that had already been harvested the, carts filled with melons and the Honey Vendors along the road.
It is so easy to forget the trials of the world on drives like that.
I even considered parking the car in the deep weeds and staying forever.

But then I remembered, it was Tuesday night and Boot Camp was waiting.

1 comment:

G-Man said...

Now that's more like it - the Spear I have come to know - deep, thoughtful, inquisitive, perceptive, colorful, brilliant mind. And sometimes misunderstood.

Thanks,
The G-Man