Wednesday, September 30, 2009

I Wonder, Will We Die?

Exercise was over.
“Great work” she said, “I am going to have to really step it up to kill you guys”.
“You all are hanging in there and doing great work, thanks”.
I think to myself as I try to get up, did my heart stop for a second or two on that last circuit?
I am sure it did, I felt the chest go empty and my stomach trying to get out of dodge.
I am not talking about throwing up; I am talking about my stomach actually trying to leave.
I bent over and swallowed a few times and was then I reassured by the return of a heartbeat.
Steady, is it steady, I wondered?
Seems to be, I guess I will go ahead and finish the run.
She gives us a compliment of sorts but is already planning the next outing.
She isn’t going to have to step it up too much to kill me, partly because I am too “stupid” to say uncle and partly because I don’t yet know a limit.
I will go on and push ahead; it is just the thing to do.
So far all the joints, muscles and tendons are hanging together.
The lungs seem to be working OK.
The heart is the only organ I wonder about, is it rebelling?
Or is it just shutting down for a second, like an overheated engine?
I am sure the rate was approaching 225 beats per minute when it seemed to slip out of “gear”.
I have had a high performance car do that on occasion.
You are moving down the highway at a respectable 80 miles an hour and suddenly push the accelerator to the floor.
Everything seems suspended in time, the motor seems to pause and then suddenly you are thrown back in the seat as everything catches up.
Maybe I am becoming high performance.
That is a more comforting than the other thought I had, one beat away from the end.
The trouble I am having with this explanation; if I am such “a High Performance Machine”, why is my gas tank trying to come out of my intake port?

No comments: