Wednesday, September 9, 2009

The Only Real Constant Is Change

Ambassador is in pain and hasn’t been in boot camp or boots for some time now.
Cheshire Cat has an injury and has been told she needs to stay away two more weeks and so like the Cheshire of old has disappeared.
They need to return as soon as health permits. The “pack” awaits.
Sparta, Ammo, Transformer along with Elmo and spouse persist but even the steadiest stalwarts have responsibilities that push in on occasion.
New people fill the holes but not the voids.
It is a fact of life that relationships develop on many different levels and these become the touchstones of daily life.
When they change, a disruption occurs that unbalances thought and place.
I had gotten comfortable in “pack” and knew my place.
Now the “pack” is evolving and shifting on a fairly regular basis.
It is hard to find the rhythm of group.
The challenges seem to have intensified.
Sparta seems to be pushing the group to more extreme levels of performance in spite of heat, humidity and ragweed.
There is a lot more talk of “nearly losing it”, a lot more people mouthing,” I am dying”.
Everyone is leaving large pools of sweat at each station.
I had decided I was losing ground.
From my own internal vantage, the pace of measurable improvement seemed to have slowed to a crawl but I finally decided it is just harder to measure ones self against so many new “pack” members.
Each brings a different level of performance and endurance.
Each brings a set of internal goals different from ones previously formulated for self.
Even my own goals seem to be working against me.
I had planned to wield the 100’s by January.
I had planned to do twenty five chin ups by January.
I have finally decided to be happy where I am and just hope by the New Year to do the eighties with relative ease.
The 100’s will have to wait.
The twenty five chin ups will also have to wait.
In January another year will slide away so I do have some urgency in my plans but at the very least, I should be satisfied as I am still able to “play” every day in spite of the continuous change.
One would think though, being surrounded “buy” this sea of change, I could at least afford some new wraps.
One should strive to look their best when meeting a "cheerleader".

No comments: