Monday, September 21, 2009

No Quarter Given And Don’t Ask For It

“Get moving”, ole man, I add in my mind, “its bust it time”.
This was the command that was shouted out.
I was into my second hour of exercise and like the “ole Man River” of song I was moving slow.
The only hurt was my pride.
I knew I was coasting on the jump rope, my calves told me I had to.
Sometimes your old body just says, “stop and smell the roses”.
Since no roses were in evidence I guess Sparta took precedence over body.
Somehow I did up-tempo the jump rope.
I flashed her a quick glance.
Did she see the “malevolence” in that look?
She must have as a mischievous grin spread across her face and she said ever so lightly, ”come on now you know I still love you”.
I thought, sure just like a snake loves a mouse.
But then the “Wise Man” inside stepped up, “you know we do it to ourselves”.
She is just the “jab” that keeps the ball rolling.
That was truth.
Sparta calls out the drills, she throws down the challenges.
It is up to us to either try them and gain or walk away and lose.
She is the skilled and adept teacher.
She gives us the methods to advance.
The task, figure out how to complete the lessons or go to the sidelines and only watch as life speeds by.

No comments: