Sunday, September 13, 2009

Who Wants To Push The Car?

I will say one thing about Boot Camp; it is multi-faceted.
Every so many days toward the end of the session, when everyone is gasping for air, comes the comment, “grab a mat and let’s head outside”.
We all head through the side door to the parking lot.
Sparta drives a Honda Civic, curb weight-2831 pounds.
A tractor tire also sits outside, curb weight ~200 pounds.
“OK, start flipping the tire, 15 flips down and then 15 flips back, two pushing the car, one running laps and the rest on mats doing crunches”.
“When the first two are finished the next two should be ready to either flip the tire, push the car or run a lap”.
“Let’s go, we are wasting valuable exercise time”.
We start.
First we push the car, around a little track, we get it up to six miles an hour.
Hamstrings are screaming.
Where did all the oxygen go?
Fall on the mat, while trying not to pass out.
Crunch, crunch, crunch, “who hasn’t flipped the tire”?
Up to the tire, get it right are you won’t be walking without a lot of back pain for a week.
Squat, grab the lower side and rise up flipping the flipping tire; do that 15 times.
Your partner flips it back.
On to the run, one lap around the large parking lot, fast, you need to get back to do the crunches.
"Someone needs to push the car again, who is ready to push the car”, comes the acid laced question.
“Uh, I guess we can do it again”.
Around the track: “get off the brake”, my mind yells at the trainer, “turn up the music, get some air-conditioning out to us”.
Legs are beyond screaming, I am sure they have died.
“Come on get it up to seven miles an hour”, another challenge tossed carelessly out the window.
Now I am back flipping the tire.
Now I am down trying to do something that looks like crunches.
Then it is over, maybe.
“Has everyone gotten to do everything at least two times”?
“I haven’t run a second time yet”, says a "sheepish" Elmo.
“Then you go run and everyone else, hold a squat”.
“Thanks a lot Elmo”, I think to myself, “I hope your wife doesn’t tickle you tonight.
Now surely it is over.
My legs say its over, my oxygen debt says its over, but has Sparta said its over?
“Nice work”, she says as she walks back into the gym.
“Lets go finish it up with a few more serious crunches and the 100 shoulders”.
My Brain is missing something here.
I am thinking, I am Finnish, what I really need is a Sauna and next time maybe we can push the sled across frozen Tundra.
I am sure it would be easier than this.

No comments: