Monday, April 26, 2010

Spinning With The Bear

“Do you love it”?
“You bet I love it”.
I don’t know why, it “hurts”, an all over kind of hurt that somehow feels good.
I am not always sure I can make it but I would rather die than give up, unfinished.
At least if I died I would have a good excuse to quit pedaling.
Sunday comes early this week, Spin Class, the Bear shows up.
I don’t know if he has ever been in Spin Class before but Sparta helps him set up his bike in the semi-darkness of the room and he is off and riding.
He starts all out.
The room is like a Brazilian Jungle, both heat and humidity are at or above 100%.
I am actually surprised it isn’t raining.
I guess bears acclimate easily as he pedals on, no let up.
About 15 minutes into the Spin, Sparta announces we should be warm by now.
In fact we (I) are (am) “burning up”, the sweat is pouring down the forehead, arms, back, chest in full streams.
The towels are soaked.
The music “screams” until the drums begin and set the rhythm, “Keep the pace, enjoy the flat, the hills are ahead”.
Bear continues to pour energy into it, keeping pace with the experienced riders; me I keep my head down, eyes closed trying to find some sugar, fat or even some precious protein to burn for the next climb.
This is where I usually ask an Angel, any Angel, to lend me some divine intervention.
The experienced riders are doing “crazy” levels of RPMs.
I am trying to keep pace but falling behind with each revolution.
Then salvation, I can barely believe it.
Fleetwood Mac, the song, “Big Love”.
Hey this one doesn't play until we are close to the end of the class.
I guess the Angels heard me.
We are closing in on the finish line, I can make it.
Fresh adrenaline pours into the bloodstream.
I use the beat and the adrenaline to pick up the pace.
Then it is over.
No way, that can’t be an hour.
But it is, the big hand on the clock says another class is in the books.
“Thanks to all for the good work”, Sparta intones.
“Do you love it”?
I wait to hear The Bear’s assessment.
“You guys are all crazy”.
Sure, I agree, but for me it beats electricity and/or medicine and I love it.

1 comment:

Relentless said...

Loved the line.....:I am actually surprised it isn’t raining."

Once again great/laugh out loud post Phoenix!