Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Spinning 110, Degrees That Is

The Spin Room is a circular room about 20 feet (give or take a few feet) in diameter.
It has at least a 9 foot ceiling.
There is a ceiling fan and three floor fans.
There are 12 bikes each placed about 2 to 3 feet apart.
The circumference of the room is 78 feet, (give or take a few feet), giving each bike a space of about 6 feet including the bike.
Volume of the room is calculated by the equation 4/3*Pi*r3.
The volume is approximately 4800 cubic feet.
The ambient room temperature at the beginning of class is 75 degrees, (give or take a few degrees), at the end of class the temperature approaches that of a South American Rain Forest, humidity and all.
I have never taken the actual temperature at he end of class but it is something I want to do.
I am sure the temperature is approaching "110" or maybe 89 degrees with 100% humidity.
It feels like late August in the swamps or Evansville.
Every article of clothing is soaked through and through.
If I was smart enough I could get some heat transfer equations and use the specific heat of air to calculate the average energy flow but this is beyond me.
Take it from me though, a lot of energy and heat transfer is occurring.
Twelve people burning anywhere from 12,000 to 15,000 calories in one hour in a closed box, it does get close and sometimes the odors are less than "White Shoulders".
But I will keep going back, where else can you go for a ride in a sauna, through a rain forest with great music and a leader who likes to ride up mountains.
"Steamed Spin" certainly beats "Hot Yoga" with fewer residual calories.

1 comment:

uncle phil said...

I can actually dig this with the great music...what music it would have to be loud! I bet you go through a lot of Baby Powder.