Saturday, March 5, 2011

Chasing Sparta

Someone said it tonight, to Sparta following a rather vigorous Spin Class, "I don't see how you keep doing this same "shit" day after day".
She was heading down to do a Power Pump class.
I interpreted the comment to say, "Wow, how do exercise hour after hour and keep going"?
The answer was quick, "Sitting behind a desk is harder and it kills much faster."
Great interchange, great discourse, great concise conversation.
It was all there, either use it or lose it, either try or die.
The real answer is movement, continuous, lots of it.
Stay still and the bad things overtake you.
Obviously this is an oversimplification but even in Genesis it states, "Thy shall earn thy keep by the sweat of thy brow".
No where does it say, "He who lives the sedentary life style shall find life everlasting".
So today in Boot Camp, at least 34 participants all eager to "kill" themselves for Sparta.
So who is relevant in all of this.
Everyone is relevant, all of the participants, all of the people looking in, wanting to join, (had a conversation at dinner with a gentleman), "I am trying to get to the point I can join Sparta's Boot Camp".
Sparta is relevant.
She is the reason all of these people are wanting to join.
I looked at her today as I was running my two laps, as I was hitting the mitts and I saw complete commitment to training, to improving the lot of we, the less fortunate.
She has some spectacular genes, I have no doubt of this, but if we could all follow her discipline, her program, genes or no genes, we would all be much richer in health and fitness.
Will we live longer, I don't know, don't care.
All I want now is to do what she is trying to teach.
Go hard or go home.
Don't waste time, she is giving us her best.

No comments: