Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A Different Kind Of Blog

From a dear friend:
I’m lying in bed writing this upside down. I must have some kind of bug. I’m weak as a kitten. You on the other hand seem to be living the high life again. I don’t know too many people who exhibit as much happiness and love life the way you do. All you had to do was figure out that joy does not come from money or things. It comes from people, activity, and faith in God. You are an inspiration to me. I really need to get excited about exercise and not spending so much time thinking about work. I’m constantly on my B-berry. It seems to be my drug.

My Answer:
It is true the B-berry is a drug.
But it is a drug much like Heroine or Cocaine.
It takes you out of life and encloses you in a cocoon of perceived comfort and wisdom.
You are plugged into the “net” and bombarded by all of the “experts” and all of the opinion.
Tiger, Brittany and all the meaningless trappings of the secular life become the important issues of the day.
By necessity your activities diminish and as the Plugged-Ins continue to evolve, their children will be born without legs and the B-berry will be part of their DNA and they will lie in little cocoons and be serviced by Robots and Twitter, Facebook, e-mails and Texting will be the new way of life.
They may live in little electronic networks for eons but no sun will ever shine on their faces.
My line will be of the Gym culture and will run races and lift weight and live in the sun and won’t Twitter or Text but will eat plant protein and travel to new worlds and explore the universe in real time and finally die in their old age having absorbed every bit of life that is possible.
It is said that the Kingdom of God exists on this earth and it is our job to find it.
I do not believe it will be found in an electronic B-berry but instead in the physicality of daily life, the connections in real time with the messiness of sweaty hugs and hands pressed together in greeting, the real contact of daily life with all of the grittiness and beauty that lies there.
I do not Twitter or Text, I call or walk down the hall and watch the face, the eyes, the language of the body or meet for lunch or sweat in Boot Camp to feel the press of the crowd and risk “sudden” death out in the open and love every minute of it.
It seems Jesus also liked to go out and walk among the real people of the world, to investigate and solve their problems and show them and us a new way.
That is where the Kingdom will be found each and every day, out in the real world of people with all their problems, joys, hopes and faith.
Our trainer says it better than me, ”Go hard or go home”.
If you hang with the B-berry you will surely curl up and die from all of the anxiety stored in that little machine.

No comments: