Saturday, January 30, 2010

A Question?

Trysynthesis:
At some time, when it would be convenient, I would like to speak with you about your exercise routine. Let me know when you might have a free moment.
Thanks

A Response!

I love to talk about my exercise routine.
In fact I talk about it so much I have been become self-conscious and don’t say that much anymore.
First a little background:
Long history of bad habits, smoking, overweight, (peak weight 288) and working all day and night.
Then vascular issues.
Actually was trying to begin exercising when they started.
Determined to recover better than before.
Got a Trainer: This lady is an angel.
Overweight, out of breath, this guy won’t last.
She only took me as a trial because of my wife.

Started with very basic training, most of the effort around diet and core exercises plus cardio, stared with 15 minutes on the elliptical and two minutes on the stair master.
Now go 7 days a week.
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday Boot Camp (One continuous hour of circuit training; Running laps, hitting the heavy bag, hitting the mitts, hitting the speed bag, jump rope, squats, slip rope, agility ladder, curls, pushups, sometimes flipping tractor tires and sometimes pushing a car, always lots of movement and no rest).
Following Boot Camp on Saturday I train with Sparta; she continues to introduce new lifts and challenges so that even after a full year she can still find ways to test me beyond belief.
On the non-Boot Camp days I try to do between 30 to 60 minutes of cardio, Stair master or treadmill with a goal: run a mini marathon.
Following the cardio I go down and concentrate on lifting and working out different muscle groups.
I try to do abs every night and recently started the Ab Ripper from P90X.
I am trying to hold to a strict diet (going green-Brussel Sprouts and Spinach) with a goal weight of 168, currently at 195.2.
Other goals; 25 unassisted chin-ups or pull-ups and an abdomen like the Spartans in 300.
I don’t know if it is possible at the age of 63 but so far I have not found a limit and no one has told me I can’t do it.
I don’t know if it will extend my life but I never would have guessed I could feel this good.
I enjoy the "hurt" that comes with this; it is a sign that you are alive.

No comments: