Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Oh, Oh!

I heard it, my first thought, “Surely I misunderstood”.
Sparta had just finished a grueling exercise.
Some of the strongest people in the class admitted, there wasn’t much left in the well.
“I had to go down deep to finish that one”, said one of the stronger runners.
But there it was, “I am going to have to kick up the intensity, you guys are making it look too easy”.
Since when is sweating a pool, really a pool of water and wanting to drink it, making it look easy?
Since when is heaving for breath between stations to keep from throwing up, making it look easy?
Since when is doing crunches until you are sure that the pain in your lower abdomen is a burgeoning hernia making it look easy?
It is not easy; it is comforting, knowing you can get through it.
It is comforting to see so many other people suffering with you.
There are funny parts that demand laughter.
This keeps you from giving up.
It isn’t easy, it is actually hard but I think the fact everyone returns and loves the class gives us that beatific look.
Remember lack of sugar and oxygen can also make people look placid, beatific which is just before coma.
So part of me wants to say, “Bring it on”.
But then I am reminded of the time I deserved the paddle, a 14 inch ash blade with holes and a stout handle; as I bent over taunted my dad, “You can’t hurt me, bring it on”.
Hey I never said I was smart back then, just trying to be tough.
“Well then here it comes”, he said.
“Ha”, came the derisive snort.
Bending over and grabbing the ankles, I tensed as I heard the paddle whistle through the air.
The truth, it hurt, but I didn’t make a sound.
My Mom said, “Just say you’re sorry”.
No, this was a battle of wills.
I don’t know who won that day and although I didn’t move with much dexterity for a few days I never got the paddle again.
I think we both lost something in that interchange.
So I am always reluctant to say “bring it on” because generally somebody pays a heavy price.
So maybe I will just be quiet on this one and try to keep up.
If I can, maybe this time everyone wins.

1 comment:

Relentless said...

Phoenix.....Loving these past post......Relentless