Saturday, September 18, 2010

Changing a Name

Trysynthesis is morphing:

"The Trainer, Hard Work, Hard Calories; Finding Youth".

When I first walked into the gym, my main goal was to lose weight and begin feeling better.
I never anticipated the shift in priorities that would follow.
I was lucky; a renowned trainer agreed to take my "case".
I did lose some weight.
I did begin to feel better (better than I have felt in the last 40 years).
But the most significant change was that I no longer felt like I was nearing the age of Medicare.
I actually feel young.
I have developed a keen interest in diet.
I now know the foods that have anti-inflammatory properties, calories associated with dietary choices, the serotonin system and the GI tract, amino acid depletion and it's impact on brain function and most importantly the foods that destroy initiative.
Ask yourself the following question, "how many minutes after you eat a food high in processed sugar do you want to take a nap"?
I would guess for most of us it is less than 20 minutes.
Do you feel like going out and playing a game of tag football after eating Thanksgiving Dinner and all of the attendant deserts?
I was listening to a researcher on NPR this morning who was talking about manipulating a gene that at least in mice acts just like calorie restriction and increases longevity.
So here is my take on the issue; if we as a population are striving to live longer it would certainly make sense that we would prefer to stay active longer, be younger and stronger late into life.
It would also be wise to avoid the need for invasive health care, hospitalization, assisted living and bags of medicine (Some of us do and will need these services along with medication but in general it is good to avoid them if you can).
The only way I know to do this is to spend as much time as possible in the gym, avoid excess calories, find and maintain your ideal weight, drive reasonably, wear a seat belt, avoid smoking of any kind, use alcohol in moderation (Red Wine seems OK), avoid illicit drugs, if married- be happy and have lots of friends, if unmarried be happy and have lots of friends, have a positive outlook and hope that you have a least a modicum of luck and a trainer of renown on your side.

To Quote Mr. Spock of the Star Ship Enterprise;
"It is curious how often you humans manage to obtain that which you do not want".
Instead, "Live long and prosper" is the better recommendation.

No comments: