Monday, September 6, 2010

What a Great Day

I went to he gym early, 6:45 AM.
It was fairly quiet but blessed be the fates, I ran into the "Bear".
He was in, to exercise with Sparta; big weights, lots of reps, tons of "hurt".
I was happy to see him, it had been a while.
No hugs this time, just a good firm handshake.
I was into aerobics, first Stair master 45 minutes, then down to biceps and triceps.
The Bear was doing Fly's with big weights, Sparta was pushing.
I was on the outside looking in.
But I had my own agenda.
I was into repetitive curls, tricep burns and kettle bell lifts.
I had about a week of Abs to catch up on and I was guilty of missing my box jumps; Mr. Id would be very unhappy if I didn't do the box jumps and you don't want to make Mr. Id unhappy.
These are 18 to 24 inch standing jumps onto a box but beware your shins.
The "Bear" continued his lifts along with Sparta and then a neuron deep in my brain clicked.
I had previously known the mother of the "Bear", the She Bear.
I had met the "Bear" when he was a cub.
It all fell into place and I stood, looking, absorbing what a bear cub can grow up to be.
I decided right then that an Old "bear" can also continue to grow.
Thanks, "Bear" and thanks Sparta, who knows how to train we "Bears".
From the gym, an afternoon of golf in a clear crisp day with a stout wind.
The front nine was a struggle but the back nine was almost joyful as putting, driving and chipping all came together for a few blissful hours.
Dinner, Tilapia with a Tomato, Basil, Garlic Tamponade along with a very light white wine, Fete" Bastard Chardonnay while the piano played in the background.
Then a quiet evening sitting and talking with my wife and reading a great book.
Finally off to bed to dream of new days, the real days of "Wine and Roses".
So Lord if you want to take me now, it is OK.

No comments: