Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I Am In a Hurry

I am going to Boot Camp tonight.
I was in the gym last night doing Cardio and free-weights when it “hit” me.
I am in a hurry.
The gentleman lifting next to me gave his age as twenty-eight; he has time on his side.
There were no older people in the gym at this late hour.
They are all at home in bed or watching late night TV.
I never want to re-join the ranks of the TV watchers or the couch sitters.
I want to be in the ranks of the late night sweaty, over-achievers that populate the gym.
It was again hammered home today after reading a Wall Street Journal article by Ron Winslow.
The article details a study that was undertaken with 50 to 65 year olds.
In 2006, 906 of the original group had reached the age of a least 85.
The common denominator, exercise.
One gentleman who is currently 89 has run 744 Marathons in his life.
Another, age 85 bicycles and runs daily.
So I am in a hurry.
I will “possibly” turn 85 in twenty-two years.
Notice I say “possibly”, there is no guarantee but it is a very short time in the future.
It is my last quarter, if I can compare life to football game, and the “team” was out of shape in the second and third quarter.
The “team” is getting in better shape but still has a long way to go.
The “team” has a lot of goals and is going to have to be in great shape to accomplish them.
The diet is the hard part but I am getting used to eating things that taste like cardboard and library paste.
Black Bean Burgers are now at the top of the list as one of my favorite foods.
I do treat myself every so often but dietary control is becoming a new way of life because I want to be successful.
Exercise is its own reward.
So I am in a hurry.
I need to take off the rest of the weight, decrease the percentage of fat and add more muscle.
Then I need to start checking off my goals, one at a time.
I am looking for a “touchdown” not just a field goal.
Maybe in the end I can make Joe Black wait to meet me instead of me rushing headlong to meet him.

No comments: