Monday, March 29, 2010

S”p”unday

S”p”unday or more commonly Spin Day, at high noon.
Got to the gym at 11:00 A.M., all of the bikes are taken.
Seems people smarter than me have set up the night before.
I need to call my wife as she was planning on joining me for Spin Class, our first couple’s activity in the gym.
I was disappointed as I have come to look forward to this class.
It is a very popular class, frequently oversubscribed and no one is giving up their seat.
Well, no matter, the faithful stair-master is always available ever willing to break my spirit.
In a gesture of “righteous indignation” over the lost Spin class I decide to outperform the Spinners.
I set the program, Ultimate Fat Burner, level 6, duration-60 minutes.
I am wearing a new heart rate monitor given to me as a gift and the stair-master in a show of contempt starts to automatically display my heart rate, picking up the transmission from the chest lead.
The down side or maybe the upside, I could see the heart rate but not the time.
I have to go by the big clock on the wall down on the main gym floor and the distance makes it fuzzy but I estimate the time as 11:15 or 11:20 A.M.
So I know I will be finished by 12:20 to 12: 30 P.M. before the Spinners had completed their efforts.
After entering all the settings I begin the climb
Somewhere around 30 minutes (give or take a few) into the session my heart rate registers 130 beats per minute.
The legs, OK but sweating, over the top.
Should I decrease the level?
The answer- not yet.
Forty five minutes into the climb-heart rate now around 155 but regular, legs OK but now a large pool of sweat has formed on the stair-master.
Maybe I can drown it.
I am starting to groan but the stair-master just purrs along like a well tuned machine with no emotions.
Turn it down; it seems to say with its flashing lights- no way!
Fifty-five minutes, the heart rate sticks at 160 beats per minute.
I am now seriously wet.
The stair-master is seriously wet but shows no signs of tiring, while I on the other hand am having trouble lifting my legs to the next step.
My body says in no uncertain terms that it is time to admit, the stair-master wins this round.
As I climb down and begin cleaning the equipment I can hear the faint beat of the Spin Class Music.
I am envious, at least in there I could be sitting down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This just wears me out. Next time don't push yourself so hard. I'm afraid I'll be reading about you in the papers.