Tuesday, March 23, 2010

More on Spinning

I love spinning.
I don’t know why, because for me it is sixty minutes of over exertion.
Every time I start I am not sure I will finish.
I am always worried I will fall off the bike (maybe dead).
That would be humiliating if nothing else.
Sparta is right about one thing though, if you grab the music it won’t let you down.
At the start of the session last Sunday Sparta announced, “If you fall off your bike I won’t see you because I am going to keep my eyes closed”.
Just like a tree in the woods, does it make a noise when it falls if no one hears it?
It does disturb the air and creates ripples in the atmosphere and probably alters the flow of energy in the Universe but I guess technically if no one “hears” it fall then it doesn’t make a sound since sound is the brain interpreting all of the changes in air currents and energy flow in the universe.
So can you fall off the bike if no one sees you?
Here is where it gets tricky.
According to Schrodinger in a now famous thought experiment involving a cat in a sealed box, a radioactive compound and a vial of poison, at time t1 the cat is alive but at time t2 after a certain set of criteria is realized, the cat may be both alive and dead and only assumes one state over the other if someone looks or Observes.
So can you falloff the bike if no one is looking?
If Sparta is the only observer and she keeps her eyes closed then you may have fallen off the bike and still be riding at the same time.
It is only after she opens her eyes and sees you either lying on the floor writhing in pain or still riding in pain that the answer is realized.
So maybe if she keeps her eyes open from the start we won’t ever fall off of the bikes.
In truth after each session I feel like I have fallen off the bike not just once but many times.
It is even hard to walk down the steps without some trepidation.
It really doesn’t matter in the end whether you stay on the bike or fall off of the bike as long as you don’t leave until the session is over.
Besides who would ever want to leave and miss that last song?

No comments: