Friday, March 12, 2010

So This Is Empty

Finishing a big week..
In the gym every day beginning last Sunday with start times earlier than unusual so was able to do more than the normal routine.
Sunday, walk 18 holes of golf followed by 3.2 miles on the Stair-Master and then on to weights.
This happened Monday (Stair-Master then weights), Tuesday (weights followed by Boot Camp), Wednesday (Stair-Master and weights), and Thursday (weights followed by Boot Camp).
Friday, looking forward to exercise tonight, but noticing a lot more soreness, surely that will ease up through the day.
Attend a quick reception at 5:00 PM, ate a few light snacks (no sugar, mainly protein in the form of chicken, grilled) and head for the gym.
Forgot the Advil, still sore but I am sure I can work it out.
Change and head up to the Stair-Master; legs are dead, no action, don’t want to climb, it only lasts nine minutes. Knees are gone and calves begin cramping almost immediately.
It is done before it starts.
So no matter, I can still do the weight routine.
But just in case, I decide to start light as my arms remain very sore.
Dumbbell bench presses followed by Lat Pull downs.
Again nothing works.
I struggle to get 10 reps with the lighter weights and the pull downs just don’t happen.
I sit there staring ahead, absorbing empty.
As I was thinking about the empty and how "negative" it seemed I suddenly remembered something the Dali Lama had said:
The ultimate goal is "cultivating the wisdom of no self," a sense of grand emptiness that leaves behind the everyday pollution, both physical and emotional.
I walked out of the gym smiling, maybe tonight was good, even better than I could have imagined.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

I love this one Dad. I have been contemplating empty for a long time, and I totally agree, finding it is a reason to smile, not to frown Love you :-)