Sunday, November 13, 2011

Learning to Run

The last time I ran was in High School.
I ran sprints and wasn't very good but no one else tried out for the 660 yard dash so that became my specialty while at the seminary.
I hated running then and that hate for running aged as I aged.
Then came Boot Camp.
The timer for station switches was usually the run and when it was my turn you could hear every one in the room groan.
The trainer even tried to soften the impact by telling me to only do two laps instead of three or four but I would have none of it and ran the assigned number.
In time I actually got better and my speed picked up and one long time member of Boot Camp recently noted that she no longer knew when I was running as I was doing about the same time as every one else.
Then 3 or 4 moths ago something in my brain tripped or died and suddenly I decided I wanted to become a runner, long distance, train for a half marathon.
A few people said they would help me and a bigger number offered to run with me, etc.
I wasn't sure as I suspected it would be hard to start running at 64 so I wanted to run alone.
I started on the treadmill and began following a training program given to me by an excellent and avid runner at the gym.
Now I am running outdoors and occasionally with others and I have to say the experience is amazing.
Am I good, no, but it has only been a hand full of months.
Do I like it, you bet I do.
It frees the mind to wander down as yet unexplored alleys.
Sleep is much better.
I am no longer timid about saying to my wife, "I am going to go and run 5 or 6 miles, see you in a day or so".
I do have an appetite again if only I could remember to eat.
So far my joints haven't been a problem and it does get you out in the fresh air.
So I guess an old dog can learn new tricks.
I just need to avoid getting run over in the gutter.

No comments: